Friday, January 25, 2008

Winter Kids



This week has been pretty hectic with having Martin Luther King Day off so I've not been able to make a blog posting until now. Anyway, last weekend, a group of us that couldn't ski on Sat. due to being restricted on the level of ski pass we purchased got together in the afternoon to go on a hike through the woods with snow shoes otherwise known as snowshoeing. Phil managed to ski and snow shoe on Saturday.

It was a really nice hike and humorous at times because out of the 9 people and 2 dogs snowshoeing, I was the only one out of the lot that had the classic kind of snowshoes. Everyone else were wearing the new shoes with metal tracks on the bottom. So, needless to say the steep hills that they were hiking up and down were quite the challenge for me. Thank goodness everyone was patient. While darkness was approaching all of us made it back to the starting point o.k. and in one piece.

I now know though how our ancestors felt trying to ski with the leather straps and wooden planks with only their poles to guide them down the steep inclines. Technology is an amazing thing!

However, I'll be purchasing a new pair of snow shoes once the annual sale starts up at our local winter sports outlet. Time for the old fashioned ones to be mounted on the wall.

I did get some really nice pictures while we were hiking along the Carrabassett River. I've posted one of my favorites from the trip. Enjoy!

No comments: